- 400g fresh vegetables: broccoli, carrot sticks, aubergine slices, baby sweetcorn, sweet potato, red pepper (any fresh veggies)
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 200g gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- Vegetable oil
- Cut the broccoli into small florets and the other vegetables into bitesized pieces, wash in cold water and steam for 5–10 minutes, until they are partially cooked. Keep a little crunch in them as its nicer when you eat them.
- Mix the cornflour and salt in a small bowl with sufficient water to form a very thin, watery paste.
- Pour the breadcrumbs out onto a plate and spread thinly.
- Heat a deep frying pan with 6-8 cm of oil until very hot and nearly smoking. [Tip 1 - Make sure you are ready to go at this point because when oil is this hot it tips to burning very quickly.] [Tip 2 - the oil must be really hot for the tempura to come out crispy, when not hot they come out soggy!] Dip each vegetable piece separately into the cornflour paste and then roll it in the breadcrumbs before dropping each gently into the oil one at a time. [Tip 3: In order not to get burnt by splashes of oil, slide each piece down the edge of the wok into the oil.] Fry each one until they are golden brown. Remove with a slotted spatula and place on kitchen roll to absorb the excess oil.
Serve hot with soya sauce.